The field of dentistry has now reached advanced developments that enable them to offer a variety of whitening procedures. These treatments can improve the patient’s smile and self-confidence. The only downside is most of the time, teeth whitening can be expensive. Zoom teeth whitening cost from $500 to $2000 dollars depending on which part of the teeth it’s done and clinic discounts.
History of Teeth Whitening
Having a bright smile and teeth that speaks for itself is one of the qualities we all want to possess. Who wouldn’t want a set of teeth that sparkles whenever you smile or speak? The process of whitening the teeth began in the 20th century. The use of hydrogen peroxide for teeth whitening became rampant during the 1980s. The technique was accidentally discovered by Jean Arthur, he concluded that the dental industry can use hydrogen peroxide as an oral antiseptic chemical to treat periodontal diseases. After several experiments, dentists discovered that the antiseptic gel they use for treatment has a side effect that whitens the teeth, hence, leading to the era of whitening gel.
What is Zoom Teeth Whitening
Zoom teeth whitening is a whitening procedure that uses up to date dental technology to remove teeth stains and whiten the teeth. It is one of the latest teeth whitening treatment that is being offered worldwide. The procedure is effective and fast which usually ends in about an hour. Compared to do-it-yourself teeth whitening products, this procedure will leave the patient with extremely visible results in no time.
How Does it Work?
The treatment uses a high-concentrated hydrogen peroxide gel to cover the entire teeth. When this gel comes in contact with the laser, it will start collapsing. Afterwhich, a thin layer on the top of the enamel will begin to break down to give way to the oxygen that will be released into the teeth. This oxygen will then wash out the stains and decrease the visibility of discoloration.
The process will be done repeatedly until the desired teeth color is achieved.
Zoom Teeth Whitening Procedures
Before undergoing any dental procedures, it is essential to know the basic steps that you will be going through. Knowing the entire procedure will help you prepare yourself especially if you have dental anxiety.
The following steps complete the procedure of zoom teeth whitening:
- First and foremost, the dentist will conduct an initial check-up to see if your gums and teeth are healthy enough to handle the treatment.
- If the patient is deemed fit for the whitening procedure, the dentist will start to prepare all the tools and materials needed for the procedure.
- After isolating the patient’s gums from the lips, the dentist will then apply the whitening gel with highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide to the patient’s teeth.
- Upon application of the gel, the teeth will be penetrated with a laser. The dentist will leave it on for at least 20 minutes.
- The process will be repeated once or twice until the stained teeth turn white.
- To fully achieve the desired brighter smile, the patient will undergo a short fluoride-treatment.
Is this Permanent?
Sadly, the answer is no. Foods with bright colors and beverages that leave color to the teeth can still stain the teeth regardless if you underwent the procedure or not. But there are ways to maintain your teeth. Avoiding carbonated drinks, coffee, pasta sauce, and dark-colored fluids can help you retain your whitened teeth.
Additionally, proper oral hygiene is also important. Regular professional teeth cleaning is also advised to maximize the full effect of the zoom teeth whitening. Dentists recommend a twice a year dental cleaning.
Can this Procedure Harm the Teeth?
General dentists go through extensive training to be able to provide satisfactory and safe dental treatments. Zoom teeth whitening is generally safe as long as the medical professional that conducted the treatment is qualified and licensed. Home and do-it-yourself whitening kits, however, can cause damage to the teeth if the materials and tools were used inappropriately.
Is Zoom Teeth Whitening Painful?
This will depend on your level of tolerance. According to some patients, it can cause mild sensation if you are not used to dental treatments. People with pre-existing tooth sensitivity experience mild to moderate pain as well. The pain will eventually fade after the treatment. If symptoms persist, you may opt to use toothpaste and mouthwashes the deals with tooth sensitivity.
Preparing for Zoom Teeth Whitening Treatment
To fully maximize the effects of the treatment, you must prepare yourself accordingly for the whitening procedure.
Here are the things that you should put into consideration prior to getting zoom teeth whitening treatment:
- Visit your dentist. If you are regularly visiting your preferred dental clinic, take advantage of this opportunity to ask your dentist if your teeth and gums are qualified for a teeth whitening procedure. This will give your dentist the chance to thoroughly inspect and see if you will be needing other treatments first before proceeding to teeth whitening. During your visit, inform your dentists of your pre-existing dental conditions so they can administer tests to determine your capacity.
- Your dentist will most probably suggest that you undergo professional dental cleaning first. This process includes meticulous teeth cleaning procedures to remove tartar and plaque from the entire mouth.
- If your teeth are sensitive, you will also be advised to take precautionary measures. One of the most common side effects of teeth whitening products is teeth sensitivity. Prepare your teeth and gums for the treatment by desensitizing your sensitive teeth. This can be achieved by using toothpaste and mouth rinses that contain chemicals specifically combined to ease tooth sensitivity. Try to use these products at least two weeks before your scheduled treatment.
- Make it a priority to check your natural teeth shade. The natural color of our teeth varies and you would not want to have a set of teeth that is too white and does match your actual teeth color.
The next 2 days after your treatment is a crucial stage in the maintenance of the whitened teeth. This period will greatly affect the long term benefits of whitening treatment. Your dentist will give you a list of instructions to follow so you can keep your white teeth for as long as possible. There are certain foods to avoid after getting the treatment such as:
- colored teeth whitening products e.g.charcoal teeth whitening
- colored mouth rinse
- red wine
- bright colored condiments like ketchup, soy sauce, pasta sauce, and the likes
- colorful foods like tomatoes, watermelon, and pumpkin
If the pain still occurs after a day of treatment, you may take over the counter pain relievers. Aside from avoiding the above-mentioned foods, proper oral care and regular dental check-up should still be your top priority. These includes:
- regular brushing of teeth at least twice a day
- using toothpaste with fluoride
- flossing daily
- using mouthwash every after tooth brushing
- professional dental cleaning after every 6 months
Having a bright smile and possessing healthy teeth are some of the few things that lift our confidence and self-esteem. Not being able to fully smile and laugh because of your teeth color is such a frustrating feeling to ever experience. Thankfully, the new generation of the dental industry is going beyond limits to find solutions and provide treatments so we can get through this dental dilemma.