What is implant dentistry? What makes it contemporary? What can I do if I experience aching dental implants? Well, click on the link and find it out.
The implant dentistry, or shall we say, a dental implant is a kind of treatment applied using titanium cylinders. Dentists place these cylinders surgically into the jawbone where the missing tooth is located.
The implant attached to the patient will serve as the roots of the missing tooth because these implants will fuse with your jawbone. As a result, there’s no chance that the implant will slip out of your mouth. Additionally, it will neither make noises nor cause any bone damage.
How did implant dentistry help in restoring the patient’s teeth?
In our contemporary world, there are so many improvements we can notice everywhere. In the case of dentistry, they have kept their pace in doing advanced techniques to address oral health problems. One of the procedures that have been showing its revolutionary improvement is the dental implant procedure.
The basis of modern dental implants is a biological process, namely osseointegration. Osseointegration is the connection between the active bone and the surface of a load-bearing artificial implant. This connection works both on the structural and functional aspects.
These implants are made of small titanium screws that replace the roots of a missing tooth while restoring the tooth’s structure and function as well.
Other improvements that are shown by implant dentistry
- Reduced treatment time: If we will look back on the conventional process before, it takes around three to six months or probably longer before a patient can get an implant. However, in the continuous improvement in the world of dentistry, the lengthy procedure is now completed within a day.
- Increased candidacy: Previously, those with extreme bone loss cannot undergo an implant procedure. However, in the current setup of this implant procedure, several patients are good candidates for it. Success rates become noticeable. The procedure includes pre-planning of implant placement. Additionally, the surgery has been guided by computers making it easier to perform in actual. Lastly, the precision screw in this procedure fell solidly under the specialty of prosthodontics.
- Long-term treatment: As mentioned earlier, the success rate of using an implant to replace the missing tooth is remarkable. The lifespan of these implants has continually improved as well. Furthermore, these success rates have pushed the dental professionals to improve and make the procedure even better.
- Affordable dental implant cost: Implant dentistry is quite economical. Despite its affordable price, dentists have ensured that reliable results can be expected. As a result, the patient will gain comfort and confidence as well as improved quality of life.
- Prostheses and prosthesis options are continuously improving and increasing: Nowadays, dental prosthetics are no longer an issue. Since implants are highly customized, a temporary prosthesis is provided to them to keep them convenient up until the day of the implant placement.
The world of dentistry has been moving forward greatly in terms of advancement and wide technological use. We have so much to thank our dental professionals and other dental entities for this. They have opened several options to address our oral health issues.
Benefits of implant dentistry
As a result of the good practice of implant dentistry, there are so many benefits that we can gain from it. See them below.
- It will improve your appearance.
- Using implants will allow you to speak comfortably. You do not have to worry that a tooth might slip out while you are talking.
- An implant allows you to eat just how you usually do. It allows you to eat your favorite foods.
- Your self-esteem is improved with the help of implants.
- Maintaining a complete set of teeth prevents you from having spaces where bacteria can easily grow out. Your oral health will improve in this condition.
- You can assure yourself that implants are durable.
- Using an implant will keep you away from inconvenience as to how dentures can be.
Implant dentistry truly has the ability to change and improve the patient’s quality of life.
Implant placement aftercare
Of course, there is aftercare that you should follow to maintain the good condition of the implant and to maximize its capacity fully. Below is the aftercare that you should keep practicing.
- You are not allowed to drive for 24 hours after your surgery as well as while taking narcotic medication.
- There could be an occurrence of swelling in the gums and face. In this case, you can put an ice pack to reduce the swelling.
- You might observe minor bleeding. A clean gauze or tea bag can help stop the bleeding.
- Temporarily, do not perform any rinsing within 24 hours. Afterwards, rinse using a saltwater rinse. You may also resume your regular brushing; however, you need to avoid the treatment site.
- As much as possible, do not use a straw and avoid abrasive foods. It’s better not to smoke!